Jess's Reviews > Just Ella

Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Feb 01, 09

Read in January, 2009

** spoiler alert ** First off, I was amazed on how fast I got through this book, mostly because of the easy flow of the dialogue and story. I read this in one sitting, and not the kind of sitting on a lazy afternoon. I went to bed to read, open this up and did not go to sleep until I was done.

The Cinderella character (Ella) is both strong and witty, with a desire and innocent to change her world as well as comprehend ideas she does not understand. Reading between the lines, I think this book is a good commentary and almost satire on the rituals of court life and courtly love. The Charming's castle and customs almost mirror the strange practices of European royalty such as Henry the VII or Marie Antoinette.

Also the story doesn't have its classical happy endings. I was rather disappointed that Ella did not get the complete desired revenge on her stepfamily. (Her stepsister marries the prince after Ella escapes) However, Ella is fines her real reward in helping others, persevering, and finding true love, instead of the inflated fantasy of a fairy tale princess.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Ella.