faeriemyst's Reviews > Silent in the Grave

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn

Feb 03, 09

bookshelves: mystery-historical, mystery, victorian-era, mystery-victorian, library-loan
Read in February, 2009

Smartly written, highly engaging, totally unputdownable - I love this book! Seriously, it's not often that a book will so capture my interest in the first page that I don't put it down for seventy pages (regrettably), and when I next pick it up, keep reading until it's finished - at 509 pages too!

Deanna Raybourn did a wonderful job bringing the characters and Victorian setting alive, and in a fairly realistic fashion. The only iffy thing was how easily it was accepted that Portia was a lesbian. I know that the March's are a peculiar and unconventional bunch, but still. All the 'gay' plotting felt too modern to me and that's my only beef with the book, not that I overly minded it (just enough to mention it :P). The way the story unfolded was seamless and fitting with the atmosphere of the mystery. Lady Julia was a wonderful character and it really is amazing how well everything was brought to life using a first-person narrative. I am looking forward to the next installment and know that won't be enough of these characters!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent in the Grave.