Inna Shpitzberg's Reviews > Villette

Villette by Charlotte Brontë

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Villette.

01/18/2011 page 35
02/18/2011
17.0% ""My time was now well and profitably filled up. What with teaching others and studying closely myself, I had hardly a spare moment.""
02/18/2011
19.0% ""Madame Beck was a most consistent character; forbearing with all the world, and tender to no part of it.""
02/19/2011
33.0% ""We all think ourselves strong in some points; we all know ourselves weak in many;...""
02/19/2011
40.0% ""«You think you did great things?» «No; but as great as I could do.»""
02/19/2011
47.0% ""«But you have not told me all.» «You had better not wait until I do tell you all. Such extra communicativeness could give you no pleasure.""
02/19/2011
51.0% ""Я научилась просто, мудро жить, Смотреть на небо и молиться Богу, И долго перед вечером бродить, "A new creed became mine-a belief in happiness.""
02/19/2011
53.0% ""I tried different expedients to sustain and fill existence: I commenced an elaborate piece of lace-work,I studied German pretty hard,I undertook a course of regular reading of the driest and thickest books in the library;in all my efforts I was as orthodox as I knew how to be.Was there error somewhere?Very likely.I only know the result was as if I had gnawed a file to satisfy hunger, or drank brine to quench thirst"
02/20/2011
59.0% ""But I was not only going to hide a treasure-I meant also to bury a grief.""
02/20/2011
72.0% ""It is right to look our life-accounts bravely in the face now and then, and settle them honestly.""
02/20/2011
74.0% ""I liked her. It is not a declaration I have often made concerning my acquaintance, in the course of this book: the reader will bear with it for once.""
show 8 hidden updates…