karen's Reviews > Trash, Sex, Magic

Trash, Sex, Magic by Jennifer Stevenson

Feb 05, 09

bookshelves: banished-from-table, hey-shorty

dammit! i meant to like this book! i love small beer press, and they gave me a really nice t-shirt at the small press fair, but this book was just... ungreat. theres magical realism and then there is just plain silly. part of what makes magical realism work is the creation of a mythology. there has to be some structure, not just weird shit happening for the sake of weird shit happening. it wasnt terrible - there were parts that were fine. i dunno - it read like a romance novel with delusions of grandeur and a really great cover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trash, Sex, Magic.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elaine (new) - added it

Elaine Karen,I am in awe at the scope of your reading, and am grateful that you suggest so many books to me. Alas! I just don't find the time to read as many as you seem to, partly because I've been writing and partly because the days just fly by, and people ask me if I'm bored since I retired 8 months ago. Ha!! With all these books in the world, how can any literate person be bored?

karen yeah now that i am in school, my personal reading time will be cut in half, at least. i suppose i could read shorter books! i will think of something, because i refuse to only read dry textbooks!

message 3: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine I find that I have to set it up so I can read personal stuff on the days that I have school at least or I go crazy.

You could be like Greg and not read the textbooks.