Sarah's Reviews > A Strong and Sudden Thaw

A Strong and Sudden Thaw by R.W. Day

Feb 04, 09

bookshelves: glbt-fiction, favorites
Read in February, 2009

The Ice fell upon the world nearly a hundred years ago, and if civilization didn’t rightly collapse, it surely staggered and fell ill a while. In the small town of Moline, Virginia, folks struggle to survive, relying on hybrid seed sent by the faraway Departmet of Reintroduction and Agriculture and their own faith in God and hard work. But when a mated pair of dragons starts hunting the countryside, stealing sheep, and attacking children, the townsfolk quickly learn that they don’t have the weapons or the skills to fight off such predators.

David Anderson is a farmer’s son who has explored the world through books. When he meets the new healer in town, Callan Landers, he doesn’t quite know what to make of the strange warmth stealing over him. It’s not until he surprises Callan with another man-and both men are promptly arrested for sodomy-that David finally realizes the truth about his own feelings.

When David and Callan stumble over a secret in a nearby abandoned town, their personal problems fade before government politics and corruption that threaten lives. It seems the dragons aren’t the worst dangers facing Moline.
From All Romance eBooks.

I’ve never been a great one for the great outdoors and nature. I don’t do bugs and a girl has to have somewhere to plug in her hairdryer! So, I was surprised to have enjoyed this as much as I did. I found the day to day details of David’s life on the farm and and the interactions with his family and Callan absorbing.

The world building was well done and the hint of conspiracy certainly gave the story a neat twist. Some of the book leaves you guessing a little till the end and I am hoping the 2nd book comes out soon as I cannot wait to see what happens next.

The romance between Callan and David was sweet, tender and passionate. David was such a sturdy character, a likeable cuss and I enjoyed him immensely. The books length was also a plus and defnitely allowed the time for the development of the characters. At 282 pages in pdf I really felt that I got bang for my buck. I liked!
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Strong and Sudden Thaw.

message 1: by Daisiemae (new) - added it

Daisiemae I am definately going to have to check this one out! Great review!:)