Mojca's Reviews > The Magical Christmas Cat

The Magical Christmas Cat by Lora Leigh

I was surprised, and pleasantly so, by Nalini Singh's contribution. It's the first story I've read by this author and I have to say I'm literally itching to read more about the Psy-Changeling universe. I know the market is inundated with shifter stories, yet this series apparently has a slightly different angle and I loved what I've read so far.
The characters were alive and well-developped, the conflict more than believable, and the plot, though holiday oriented and not much of a shocker was nicely delineated. The story flowed nicely, and the Christmasy touch added that little extra something special to make this story a little more sweeter and cuter than it already was...Talk about season for miracles. ;)

The middle two stories by Erin McCarthy and Linda Winstead Jones were the "pebble in the shoe" for this anthology. While McCarthy's strove for a bit of paranormal ending up with a shared dream was still passable, though not a great achievement (the characters seemed a little cold and the whole falling into each other's arms - despite the dream - was a bit too rushed to be believable), Winstead Jones' contribution was simply meh.
The weakest of them all, in suspense, though it tried really hard (and the ending of the first chapter was promising), characters and story. And what was with the constant use of the Italian? Wouldn't it been enough to use the word once and then revert back to English? But I guess it sounded fancier...At least if you decide to sound fancy and use a foreign language, at least try to use it correctly. A dictionary is a good help, sometimes. Il Collettore is spelled with two T's and not one as you did, Ms. Winstead Jones. Also, the Italians tend to use an apostrophe when the noun begins with a vowel so the correct use would be d'Anima and if we're using strict grammar, soul should be plural (he needs nine)...Il Collettore d'Anime. Just for the record.

Lora Leigh is simply Lora Leigh. I like all her stories (some more some less, depending on the publisher LOL) and this one was no exception. Yet another nice mix of action, romance, and steam, just the way I lik'em. Also, the Christmas backdrop added a nice warm, homey touch to the romance between Noble and Haley.
The story was nicely tied in to the previous books, Noble getting shot in Dawn's Awakening and the party and mate issues from Mercury's War. I love it when the bad guys go down and that b**** had it coming. *evil grin*

So the first and fourth novellas earned this anthology its 4-star rating because these two were worth the money spent on this book (which isn't often the case with anthologies). So I recommend this for Leigh and Singh fans...And for those who need a Christmas fix in the middle of the year. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magical Christmas Cat.

02/24/2009 page 296
79.57% "Reading the Breed novella..."
05/14/2009 page 15
4.03% "I'm detoxing from the Psy/Changeling series. Taking it slow with Zack and Annie's story." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

MelissaB Nalini Singh's Psy/Changling series is very good, it's one of my favorite series.

Mojca When I read Singh's story in this anthology, I knew I had to read more...I guess my TBR pile is going to grow a little yet again.

Dina When I 1st read this anthology, I wasn't a Breeds fan and I really hated LL's story. Since I'm a Breeds addict now, I think I need to reread it.

MelissaB Dina,

Isn't it funny how you stop noticing the barb after awhile? LOL

Dina Yeah, I just go with the flow now, Melissa. I guess I'm getting weirder and weirder by the minute, LOL.

BTW, do you remember I posted a passage from this LL's novella in K.'s GOSM and how I "trashed" it? Oh, how the world spins!...

MelissaB Yes I do! I am going to the beach for Memorial Day so I won't be able to play much.

Dina I won't be able to play much either, because my B-day is May 23 and I'm having a small "drinking" celebration. I'm afraid I won't be sober enough to guess anything, LOL.

MelissaB Dina,

I will probably have the same problem at night when we go out! Have a great birthday! Do you get to the beach much? I love reading while laying out in the sun.

Dina I used to spend all my weekends at the beach up to my mid-twenties. Then, out of the blue, I started having some bad rashes and, darn!, my doctor said I had developed a minor sun allergy. Can you believe that?!? I was so p!ssed at the time! Anyway, I've made my peace with it and, nowadays, the most I can stand is one hour by the pool. Better than nothing, I'd say.

Enjoy the beach for me! :)

MelissaB Wow, that's crazy! Sometimes in the vampire books the vamps use sun allergies as an excuse to avoid the sun, kind of ironic. Well, you will have nicer skin due to the lack of exposure.

message 11: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina LOL, good call on the vampire thing! Now that you mentioned it, isn't it around their mid-twenties that Ward's BDB vampires turn? And I do love red wine! Too bad none of the brothers came to help me during my transition... ;)

MelissaB Ahh yes, Rhage would have done nicely right?

Holly Did anyone else think it was incredibly cute when Wrath described Rhage "flipflopping" through the house? I couldn't stop grinning when I read that.

MelissaB Hilarious. Rhage has a great sense of humor.

One of my favorite lines was when he accused V of French kissing his GT's tailpipe because of the goatee. Plus he drives a purple car which is funny to me.

message 15: by Holly (last edited May 14, 2009 12:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Holly There were alot of good moments in the book. :D

Don't feel bad, Dina. I really didn't like LL's story in The Magical Christmas Cat but I luuurved the Psy Changeling story from Nalini Singh.

Speaking of Nalini Singh...should I read that short story Angels Pawn before Angels Blood?

MelissaB I haven't read Angel's Pawn yet. You meet the girl from Angel's Pawn in Angel's Blood but I don't feel like I missed anything. I am going to read it soon.

Holly Okay, good. I just wanted to know if it was like that short story before Patricia Brigg's Cry Wolf story.

MelissaB No, not like that. The lead characters in Angel 's Blood meet in the story so you couldn't miss much about them. I will have to read Angel's Pawn this weekend to get a better feel.

I am very interested in your opinion of Angel's Blood. There are lots of scenes with wings which you should like. I even liked the wings and they usually freak me out.

Holly
How's the romance in this book. Is it more urban fantasy than paranormal romance?

message 20: by MelissaB (last edited May 15, 2009 05:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MelissaB There is not a bunch of romance like in the Psy/Changling series.

However, Raphael is such an intriguing character, I loved reading about him. He and Elena are very interesting together. I enjoyed their interactions and the chemistry between them. I would have liked a more detailed love scene but it was still good. There is a lot of sexual tension as well.

Raphael and Elena have just started their relationship by the end of the book but we know they will be together from then on, so I think we will see their relationship grow and evolve over the course of the series.

There is an urban fantasy feel to it but Raphael and Elena are together at the end of the book with the intent to stay together. There were no other romantic interests like in some urban fantasy. There is explosive chemistry between the couple but the romance isn't front and center. Nor is Raphael the type of person to give you the warm fuzzies - he is a hard archangel who is used to having his way and is very arrogant and dominating. But I kind of like guys like that sometimes, they keep things interesting. Elena is a Guild Hunter, she is very good at hunting rogue vampires (see my review for more info), so she isn't someone to just roll over and take whatever Raphael wants to dish out - which is good because she would have been dead by the end of the book if she wasn't a strong willed person.

Holly Interesting. Can't wait to read it. Thanks Melissa.