Deana's Reviews > Neuromancer

Jan 31, 09

liked it
bookshelves: 2009, read-friend
Read in January, 2009

This book definitely kept me interested, but it was quite confusing. It is set in the future, when computers are omnipresent. People have many ways of interacting - in person, through "the matrix" (hmmmm) where they all plug into a virtual world, stimsim which is like... a video game of sorts also that you plug into, and ... I forget the name of the last thing but basically he can plug into another person and hear all her thoughts and even touch sensations (aka, he screams in pain when she breaks her leg). And the author doesn't always tell you which "reality" the character is in at any given time, which gets confusing. Not only that, but there is lots of new terminology for devices and realities that don't exist currently, and it's hard to keep it all straight. Also, the author has a habit of just having something happen without any explanation, which is frustrating because I'm unsure whether I should know what's going on or not (I'd give an example, but I don't have the book in front of me).

However, despite all this, I still enjoyed the book and it kept me reading. I think I'll have to re-read it at some point and see if it makes more sense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neuromancer.