Robert Tabb's Reviews > Harold and the Purple Crayon

Aug 13, 07

bookshelves: topten
Recommended for: Anyone with an Imagination
Read in September, 2003

I just love this book (even though my wife insists I never pronounce the word crayon correctly. She says I say "crown"). As an author I try to emulate what Harold does in this book. First, go looking for an adventure. Next, add some obstacles, a little humor, a moose, some pie, and some narrow escapes. Finally, when you're all done, find your way home and get some rest. If I was ever stranded on a desert island, this would be the book I'd want to have with me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harold and the Purple Crayon.

Kimberly Any chance you are from New Jersey? My parents say "crowns" also. As I kid, I always thought they were two different things. Now, after a few years in college of no one passing me the "wudder," certain words soudn like nows on a chalk board..."crowns" is one of them...butthat fact that you mentioned it gave me a good laugh :-)

Robert Tabb Actually, I'm originally from West Virginia. I'm glad it gave you a good laugh. I've learned to embrace my pronunciations of crayons "crowns" orange "arnj" and sure "shore" as I see no chance I'll be able to change. Thanks for the comment Kimberly.

Kimberly :-)
Just looked at my own message. Glad you could get past those pesky typos! Where's spell check when you need it?
It's good to come to terms with your pronunciations. I've accepted that I will never be able to pronounce bagel or syrup. I have developed hybrid variations.

Charlie Why do you call that would crown? I don't understand.