Rossrn Nunamaker's Reviews > Lucifer's Shadow

Lucifer's Shadow by David Hewson

Feb 07, 09

bookshelves: detective-crime, suspense, fiction
Read in February, 2009

I took out Lucifer's Shadow and Lizard's Bite both by David Hewson at the same time and read Lizard's Bite first as I had read the previous Costa detective book the Sacred Cut.

I should have read Lucifer's Shadow first. The Lizard's Bite follows Lucifer's Shadow. Both books feature Hugo Massiter and Lizard's Bite mentions Daniel Forster and Laura who are featured in Lucifer's Shadow.

Lucifer's Shadow is two related stories in one. Like Hewson's other books, the beginning is slow reading. This one is even more so as I found the 'letters' that tell the earlier story set in Venice during Vivaldi's time to be very slow and the italics didn't help on the eyes either.

In Vivaldi's time an accomplished violinist is hampered by the fact that she is Jewish and women can't perform in public. She is helped by a man, who is ordered to do so by his uncle, Scacchi and falls in love with her.

In the current time, a young man Daniel Forster comes to Venice under the pre-tense of cataloging a private library for Scacchi, descendant of the earlier Scacchi. In this 'library' a hidden manuscript is found and turns out to be a composition from Vivaldi's era.

Both stories have several parallels and feature conspiracies.

The ending did not tie up as tightly as I like, but given the hundreds of years separating them, one couldn't expect too much in regard to the two stories coming together any more than they did.

One story ended more happily ever after than the other, but there is a big gap between where Daniel and Laura conclude this work and where they are in the Lizard's Bite.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucifer's Shadow.