skein's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Apr 10, 2011

bookshelves: 5-star, 2011
Read from March 30 to April 01, 2011 — I own a copy

I don't think this is a 5-star book - I really, really don't - but oh, how I love it. Not because I love Jane (I do!) but because I lurve Charlotte Brontë. I love her blind spots, her hopes and her fears and her stubborn-as-a-pig morality that (despite Lowood and Helen Burns) isn't really apparent until the "oh! all is utterly lost - love, life, hope! I must flee to the moors to find succor!" bit.

It's the same FUCK YOU, WORLD. I'M BETTER THAN THIS SHIT mentality that all the Brontë sisters wrote of, and I must assume really felt: Charlotte's Jane, Anne's mercy killings; Emily, just ... bein' Emily. They were willing to compromise and be act like Proper Little Ladies up to a point -- and then they fought back. And how.

It's not a particularly Christian sense of morality, despite the vehemence of their claims to the contrary; it is instead a very simple, innate sense of worth and capability, and the right-ness of equality that will not be pushed aside.

Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong!—I have as much soul as you,—and full as much heart! ... I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh;—it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God’s feet, equal,—as we are!”

(And then he kissed her, do-wop do-wop)

... and, because this is Jane Eyre, she does not swoon as I generally do, and certainly would do were I in the identical situation; she shoves him away and yells and says something suitably Janian about his lying lies. OH JANE. Let's be friends forever and never never fight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

03/30/2011 "i have only three words: HOLY FUCKING SHIT."
03/30/2011 "can never decide on Rochester. he brushes off Jane's fears of caste: indifference or insensitivity? also: Mrs. Fairfax and her worryworting! Will she never TRUST IN LOVE?"
03/30/2011 "so, Jane holds a conversation with an oak tree: does she?"

message 1: by skein (new) - added it

skein okay, so Rochester's a dick about a lot of stuff, right, but when he says "What, in the name of all the elves in Christendom, is that Jane Eyre?!" -- then, Reader, I have a well-defined urge to (as another reviewer so elegantly stated) bang him like a screen door.

message 2: by skein (new) - added it

skein >bang him like a screen door
yes, it is one of my favorites! and, -- !!!! Jane Eyre!!!1

My favorite speech is the entirety of Rochester's verbal ramblings-about when he's preparing to propose to Jane; "So, I must leave, but you've been a good servant and a sort of friend and we should spend some time together don't fuss, that was a ladybug, and I'm going to marry Blanche Ingram, and are you anything akin to me, Jane?"
-the agitation of his mind gets at me.

message 3: by skein (new) - added it

skein ABSOLUTELY. Those bits make Jane very real, too; it evens out her moralizing. And it cements their relationship as ... as not just a power trip on either side. They can argue and tease, simultaneously. They don't need to (as the kids say) front.
When he tells her to give him back 9 pounds and she's like haha, no! -- it tugs at my heart. (I'm such a sap.)

Angie I don't like that I can only like the initial review. Can't I 'like' this entire conversation? This is my favorite book. Ever. And I've read it numerous times, and that part -- the one in the garden -- and the one in his room after the bed fire -- and the gypsy -- I think are my favorites. They're... comical, almost, and teasing, and he's testing the waters yet she's so naive yet also stuck in her socioeconomic class that she doesn't see it.
Also, the musical was awesome.

message 5: by skein (new) - added it

skein wait, what, excuse me, MUSICAL?

Angie WAIT -- You didn't know there was a musical?? OH GEEZ email me your address & I'm sending you a copy of the CD...

message 7: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell And then he also calls her a "mocking sprite" in the reunion scene -- changeling, "Fairy-born and human bred" -- it's awesome.

message 8: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell MRS DIONYSIUS O'GALL OF BITTERNUT LODGE. Even when I was ten, reading it for the first time, I read that and thought "....wait, what?" It's so absurd.

message 9: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell skein wrote: "Why would she think he was wanting to marry her? and ... since he couldn't really marry her legally, he pretty much IS screwing with her."

Yeah, there's so much that's unspoken -- Bronte does that later with Lucy Snowe and M Paul, too.

message 10: by skein (new) - added it

skein Bronte does that later ...
Relying on personal experience, perhaps? Ouch.

Sophie I love this review. Love LOVE LOVE!

Emma Grace, Adore this review!

message 13: by skein (new) - added it

skein GR ate my comment notifications, so this is belated, but: Thank you!

message 14: by skein (new) - added it

skein GR ate my comment notifications, so this is belated, but: Thank you!

Stella Skein, I never fully comprehended why I love the Bronte sisters so much, but that bit about "FUCK YOU WORLD, I'M BETTER THAN THIS SHIT" sums up EXACTLY why these old books resonate so deeply. :)

Christine LOVE