Jeff's Reviews > Windows® Internals

Windows® Internals by Mark Russinovich

Sep 11, 10

This book is huge (i.e. heavy!) and one of the rare times that I can honestly say that it met and often exceeded my expectations for technical depth.

If you want to know *exactly* what happens when you call CreateProcess, it's in there. If you want to know step-by-step what happens when you see the "Starting Windows" process at boot time, it's in there. If you want to know the architecture of the core NT kernel and its subsystems (e.g. Memory Manager, Plug & Play subsystem, Hardware Abstraction Layer, etc), it's all in there.

I'm a huge fan of the main author (Russinovich) and enjoy tools that he's made such as Process Monitor and Process Explorer that often give you details about your code that only makes sense after you've read this book (e.g. Deferred Procedure Call counts)

My only complaint is that I wish some parts were written in code or pseudo-code rather than prose. It seems that some parts could have been a bit shorter if written that way.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Windows® Internals.

message 1: by Shivesh (new) - added it

Shivesh Suman As you know you can probably complement it with Windows via C/C++.