All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Commencement

Nov 07, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in November, 2012

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy See site review for similar titles

Like many fans of this genre, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was my gateway drug to the world of urban fantasy. So whenever I come across a book that is reminiscent of Buffy, or pays homage to the series, I get happy, happy, happy. Paige Cucarro’s Hellsbane series does both, and it does them well.

In this prequel novella, set five years before HELLSBANE, the first full length novel in the series, empath Emma Jane is a young college student with a genius best friend Mihir (think Buffy’s Giles combined with Willow–he’s in love with her so add Zander into the mix too). Emma has had to learn to block her empathic abilities, but strong emotions still leak through like when her soccer star boyfriend starts feeling homicidal towards her. A when bodies start pilling up on campus, Emma has to embrace the gift she’s spent her life blocking.

In just 50 pages, Cucarro packed more character development and plot into this novella than many other authors do will full novels. COMMENCEMENT read like a lost episode of Buffy with clever dialog, metaphorical mythology, big bad villains and even bigger heroines. This looks like a series to watch. The first full novel in the Hellsbane series is called HELLSBANE and was just released. It’s already on my kindle.

Sexual Content:
Kissing. References to sex

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Commencement.