Travis Orders's Reviews > Wool Omnibus

Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey

Nov 05, 12

Read in November, 2012

I read a LOT of post apocalyptic fiction. It is hard to find good books in the genre. Now days, they are almost 100% zombie-centric.... Which in itself is not something I hate, but it is getting long in the tooth. Especially with the current level of media saturation.

This book focuses more on a "vault" style setting, where the survivors of whatever event occurred, are living in a silo. It does have a touch of the dystopian, but at the beginning, that is not in the forefront of the tale. It (sadly for me) is not a story about desperate survival in the wasteland, but does touch on it in passing.

Howe does a fine job writing characters, as well as setting. While he is no Frank Herbert, he holds his own. I am impressed that he doesn't spend hundreds of pages detailing the history of everything that has gone to pot, rather he focuses on the story.... Which leaves us wanting to know more of the history of why everything has gone to pot. :)

My only real beef with the omnibus, was the ending. It felt like it crept up on me, and then slapped me in the face with roses. I felt it left on too high of a note, and was rushed. I speaking of the last dozen pages or so... I wanted the end to unwind a little more, rather than just come undone. However, as they saying goes, "Its the journey, not the destination".

I do hope that there are more books that reveal more layers to the world that Howe has created. Books that take you out of the silo, and into the wasteland. Hell, for all I know, those books may already exist. I have done little research on his other work. Quite honestly, I wanted to review this book, because at the end of it, he asks his readers to do so!

Two thumbs up Mr. Howe!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wool Omnibus.