Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Dec 14, 12

bookshelves: read2012, sword-and-laser, ebooks, audiobook
Read from November 05 to December 08, 2012

(Finished the book but my readalong group won't finish until end of December, so I'll update the blog links as they post, and return for a full review.)

Reading this along with a group of book bloggers in November and December, so this will be a long read (the book itself is not that long!). In December, the Sword & Laser group is also reading it, so this book will be in our collective memory.

My thoughts on chapters I-II.
My thoughts on chapters III-V (I have questions about the creatures, come help me out)
My thoughts on Chapter VI (short week because of Thanksgiving)
My thoughts on Chapters VII-VIII
My thoughts on Chapters IX-X (And this week makes me see some of what they might pull out to put into the film. Tolkien will mention adventures in passing that he doesn't want to spend time on in order to get to the MOST important part of the story. I'm guessing the movie people jumped on these bits.)
My thoughts on Chapters XI-XII (new)

Quotations I'm collecting:
"We must not miss the road, or we shall be done for."
"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.

11/11/2012 page 42
11.0% ""We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them.""
11/15/2012 page 63
17.0% "Trolls vs goblins, what's the difference?"
11/16/2012 page 87
24.0% "Trolls vs goblins, what's the difference?"
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Cheater!

Ajay Aha.. is that a part of a reading challenge to get the book before the film hits the screen?

message 3: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Not exactly. She's reading ahead for the Sword and Laser December book pick.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Rob wrote: "Cheater!"
:P

Ajay wrote: "Aha.. is that a part of a reading challenge to get the book before the film hits the screen?"
The Sword and Laser bookclub is reading it in December, but then I came across a blogger readalong on the Unputdownables blog. Their schedule is a bit slower than S&L, with a set schedule for discussion. I'm going to try blog my way along. I'm also trying Whispersync for the first time and it is awesome!

Rob wrote: "Not exactly. She's reading ahead for the Sword and Laser December book pick."
Partially true. Not untrue. I can't believe I've never read it.

message 5: by Rob (last edited Nov 08, 2012 07:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Jenny wrote: "Partially true. Not untrue. I can't believe I've never read it."

Wait. This is your FIRST read? I envy you. Mine was ruined by my 9th grade English teacher. I'm very much looking forward to re-reading it..you know..next month ^_^

Jenny (Reading Envy) Rob wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Partially true. Not untrue. I can't believe I've never read it."

I should have my geek card revoked as I hadn't read a word of Tolkien until this week!

message 7: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob ...

....

.....

AndrewP I'm reading ahead as well, but only because my wife wants to read it before the movie too:)

message 9: by KWinks (new)

KWinks  This is my first read too. I have to read it for S&L and my Teen Book Club picked it as our Jan read.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Kwinks wrote: "This is my first read too. I have to read it for S&L and my Teen Book Club picked it as our Jan read."
What do you think so far? Have you started it yet or will you wait until December?

message 11: by Sue (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sue I think I need a reread. It's been many years. Definitely time. How are you liking it, Jenny?

Jenny (Reading Envy) Sue wrote: "I think I need a reread. It's been many years. Definitely time. How are you liking it, Jenny?"

I think it is wonderful. I just wish I had read it as a child.

message 13: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed Ha! I knew you couldn't keep that slow pace for the whole book. :-)

Do you think you'll read The Lord of the Rings and/or The Silmarillion? I recommend reading the latter first. It's worth the effort; "The Lay of Beren and Luthién" is the best thing Tolkien ever wrote.

message 14: by Rob (last edited Dec 10, 2012 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Glad you liked it!

AndrewP I agree with Ed, read the The Silmarillion first. It's the book that shows how Tolkein's world building goes way, way beyond anything anybody else has ever done.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Ed wrote: "Ha! I knew you couldn't keep that slow pace for the whole book. :-)

AndrewP wrote: "I agree with Ed, read the The Silmarillion first. It's the book that shows how Tolkein's world building goes way, way beyond anything anybody else has ever done."

Thanks guys, I'll add it to the long long list. :)