Lola's Reviews > Renhala

Renhala by Amy Joy Lutchen

Aug 24, 14

bookshelves: books-that-i-own, e-books-on-kobo, got-a-copy-for-review-reviewed, lola-s-blog-tours
Read from November 19 to 27, 2012

I got a copy for review in exchange for an honest review.

Lately I have been reading many books that are quite short and fast paced, I love those kind of books, because I can start a book finish it and then quickly start another book. I didn't realize that sometimes I miss reading books that are a bit longer. When I started this book I was wondering whether to start it now or not, as it was quite long (430 e-book pages). I ended up just starting it and quickly I forgot the number of pages and immensed myself in the world of Renhala.

The book starts off slow paced and a bit confusing. I was actually wondering whether to continue it or not, because I was sure something supernatural was mentioned in the blurb and well I didn't see any hint of that in the first 50 pages. And then suddenly things start making sense, the supernatural is introduced and I was sucked into this story. The story is awesome, it's a bout Kailey and about friendship and love. About good and evil and grey. And so much more.

The characters are loveable! I couldn't wait to read more about them and I especially liked Kailey, she is such a strong girl, but also so normal at times. A few other favourites are: Lupa, Bu, Jenna, Kioto, Greer and Ladimir. Kailey meets so many interesting and nice creatures and I couldn't help but like them all, they all have these characteristics that make them unique. Although I wouldn't mind spending more time reading about all of them and learning more about them. I think the author did an awesome job creating a whole cast of likeable characters.

The evil characters were not as easy to like and I thought it was difficult to really get why they acted like they did. I would've liked a bit more insight in way they did these evil things and who they are.

The world building is also done briliantly. Although after finishing the book I still have so many questions. The author describes the world perfectly, not too much details, but enough to get a good sense of how this world looks. I also loved all the originaly touches, like the life pond and the strange creatures like the Grebles, the Meeples and the Mooncats. I do think that one book is just too less to get to know all of the world and I am would like to learn more about this amazing world.

To conclude: a great story, slower paced and longer than what I usually read, but I loved it! The only minpoints are the fact that the beginning is quite slow and I didn't get a good idea why the evil characters acted like they did. The story was original and interesting, the characters were likeable and the world building was done really well. The story was longer then what I usually read, but I only wished it was even longer, because I already miss reading about Kailey and Renhala.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Renhala.

11/22/2012
15.0% "The beginning was a bit slow, but it is starting to get interesting now."
11/24/2012
30.0% "The story is slow paced, but it's an enjoyable story. It's been a long time since I've read such a long and slow paced book, it's enjoyable."
show 2 hidden updates…