Dan's Reviews > Microserfs

Microserfs by Douglas Coupland

Aug 13, 07

Recommended for: Microsoft Employees, computer programmers at big companies
Read in December, 2005

This is the story of a group of Microsoft employees in the early 90s who leave the company and go to silicon valley to go to video game software startup company. The book is mostly about the lives and the trials and tribulations of these programmers as they try to figure out their personal lives while working all the time.

The writing style of this book is very interesting. The story is told from the perspective of one of the characters from his diary that he writes in because he can't sleep. It is an effective way of telling the story. I was really interested in this book, it was very interesting to compare and contrast how things are the same and different at Microsoft than they were 15 years ago. Granted, that is something that only Microsoft employees can think about while they read this book. In general it seems like a fairly good and accurate fictional account of what it is like to work in the software industry.

I read this book because I am a microserf, and I wanted to see what it was like for the microserfs 10-15 years ago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Microserfs.