Len's Reviews > Confessions of an Economic Hit Man

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins

Aug 17, 07

I don't know why I keep reading books like this...I only get more and more depressed about the state of the world. Perkins' story is well told and it kept me interested throughout.

Like a lot of other political books I've read of late, this one is made even more relevant by the events that have occurred even in the short time since it was published. The book tells the tale of the American led imperialism around the world leading up to the events of 9/11 and even the subsequent invasion of Iraq. The sad part is the characters have barely changed in the past 30 years -- the same few idiots have manipulated world affairs and they are still doing it. Dick Cheney foremost among them. I'll tell you this, if you have any doubts that the Bechtels and Halliburtons of the world are in charge of everything - including American foreign policy -- this book will rid you of those doubts.

One bright spot is that Perkins ends the book with some advice on how we as real Americans can change things. I'm not optimistic that we can, but at least there are some things we can do short of revolution.

Anyway, interesting that I chose to read this on the heels of 1984. Power corrupts...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of an Economic Hit Man.