Laura's Reviews > Firefly Rain

1951663
Jan 31, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, horror, ghost
Read in June, 2008, read count: 1

I had high hopes for this novel, particularly as it started out well and demonstrated that Richard Dansky has some writing talent. In the end, my less than enthusiastic review comes down to two main factors, one of which is entirely my fault: namely that the "paranoia" theme - particularly in a small town where everyone seems to be in on "the secret" and is vaguely hostile to the newcomer - is one of my least favorite plot types.

Leaving my own preferences aside however, I can see that Richard Dansky has some original ideas and has a real talent for writing descriptive passages. After reading the book I could not only imagine what his parents' home looked like, but almost smell it as well. The only real fault I had with his writing was a "cardboard-y" feel to his characters that never let them move beyond one dimensional place holders. Even the narrator is described unevenly and his decisions and actions lack a coherent motivation.

That being said, I would definitely pick up another book by Mr. Dansky as he has all the potential to be a very fine writer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firefly Rain.