S.A. Parham's Reviews > Sunglasses After Dark

Aug 13, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: paranormal, vampires, demons
Read in August, 2005

My search for good vampire stories continues with reading Nancy Collins' offerings to the genre. I'd first heard of Sonja Blue from a short story Collins wrote for The Vampire Sextette, which was one of the few stories I actually enjoyed from that collection. The novel did live up to my expectations for the most part, but some of the structuring seemed a bit awkward and almost amateur. It's early in the series, so hopefully the immense "flashback infodump" section that dominated this book will not be a problem in later books. The novel would have been far less jarring and less "infodump" feeling if it had started with Sonja's conversion as a vampire and worked forward chronologically. But because it starts in the present, then takes a huge leap into the past, it felt awkward and a bit gimpy. There are also point-of-view issues, with a bit of head-hopping that really made no sense other than the author not being able to figure out how to convey her message through one or two central characters' viewpoint. It is very adult in nature - Sonja has a history as a prostitute and killing scenes are extremely graphic. The world itself intrigued me - Pretenders living among humans and passing as human - and I'm rather curious to see what the significance of seraphims will turn out to be.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunglasses After Dark.