Lani's Reviews > Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant : Confessions of Cooking for One and Dining Alone

Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant  by Jenni Ferrari-Adler

Jan 30, 09

it was ok
bookshelves: borrowed, non-fiction
Recommended to Lani by: jill
Recommended for: foodies
Read in January, 2009

This was an odd one, but Jill has yet to recommend anything BAD that I can recall. I learned from this book that I am adamantly NOT a foodie, that I remain a picky eater, that I am hopelessly uncultured, and that I will always be kinda white trashy.

The introduction for this book had me expecting something quite different from what it turned out to be, and I'm not sure if that was a dissapointment or not... I've spent a pretty significant amount of time cooking alone in tiny kitchens, or for someone absolutely uninterested in food. I expected to relate to these stories, to think about comfort food, to pick up some recipes, and to be really hungry after reading.

Ultimately, I think I was hungry because I hadn't had lunch, but none of the other stuff really came to pass. The essays seemed to have much more to do with working out mommy or boyfriend issues than with reveling in eating alone. There were occassional odes to food that I could relate to, but often it was well above my personal tastes or even comprehension. I LOVE to eat, but I suppose I would have to overanalyze my love of snacks before I could write an essay on it beyond "MMMM, food."

Fortunately, the book is an anthology with a wide variety of authors so nothing takes long. I zipped through it in just a few hours, and wasn't left with a bad taste in my mouth - haha.

The highlight of this book for me was probably Jill's notes in it, and I was always excited to find her rather ecstatic pink pen scribbles. Borrowing books from Jill is usually pretty exciting.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant .

jill Oops, yeah, I meant to tell you to read a few of them and skip the rest ... but I forgot that step when I left you the book. It's a pretty self-indulgent collection overall. But, the guy who wrote about the black beans? C'mon, he was awesome.

Lani Yes! 3 CHEERS FOR BLACK BEANS. His recipe looked delicious.