Juliet's Reviews > Catch-22

Aug 13, 07

bookshelves: recently-read
Recommended for: high schoolers
Read in June, 2007

Maybe there's a reason this book is usually required high school reading; it reads like it was written by a 17-year old. Someone who clearly finds himself to be hilarious, and no one ever had the heart to tell him differently.

I never felt for any of the characters, I never laughed, I never cried. In fact, half way through the book I couldn't take it anymore, so I skipped ahead to the last chapter and yet it still made sense. I'm sorry, but if nothing happens in the second half of a book to impact the ending, then something is very wrong.

I know there are a lot of people out there who think this is one of the classics and that everyone should read it, but it just doesn't hold up to any of the classics I've read thus far. Hell, it doesn't even hold up to Sheep in a Jeep.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch-22.

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 10: by Liam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liam I was trying to think of the best way to defend this book, but I couldn't crystallize and condense my thoughts very well. I had all these metaphors I was going to use and I was going to invoke parallels with Jonathan Swift, Slaughterhouse-Five, and Saturday Night Live. But, in the end, all I want to say is this: screw you, this book rocks.

Also, it's unthinkable to not give at least two stars to a novel that's movie version features Art Garfunkel in an Italian whorehouse.

message 9: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Green Yeah, uh, it seems as if a whole lot of people, many of whom are a lot, lot older than 17, find Joseph Heller to be a funny guy.

Michelle I think you just werent ready for this book. You should try reading it another time.

Juliet Well, I was 27 when I read it, so what do you suggest? Try again at 47? But then again, I don't think 30 Rock is funny either, so maybe my standards for humor are just different.

Ellen When did you read Sheep in a Jeep? Wasn't it great?

message 5: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Gilmore Juliet wrote: "Well, I was 27 when I read it, so what do you suggest? Try again at 47? But then again, I don't think 30 Rock is funny either, so maybe my standards for humor are just different."

Wow, how many episodes of 30 Rock have you even watched? If you don't find anything funny about it you are hopeless, I'm sorry to say.

Michelle Juliet wrote: "Well, I was 27 when I read it, so what do you suggest? Try again at 47? But then again, I don't think 30 Rock is funny either, so maybe my standards for humor are just different."

I bought the book and couldn't get past the first couple chapters. I put it away for about a year or so, and just when I was going to give up on it I gave it one last shot and was so surprised at how amazing the book was. But, you're right it probably has a lot to do with your taste in humor.

Katrina I'm a teenager and I could barely get through it too, so it's not just a high schooler thing haha.

Spidy Roks 30 Rock - Is not that funny

Catch -22 is funny in a way Hitchhiker series is funny, in being totally absurd and crazy .

Vismay don't compare Hitchhiker's to shitty Catch-22.......