Diane's Reviews > My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

1974534
Jan 30, 09

Read in June, 2005

I am a Jodi Picoult fan. I have read most of her books and was enjoying this one based on a family in turmoil. Kate, a young girl, has a rare form of leukemia and her sister, Anna, was conceived to provide a donor match. As she grows older, Anna decides to sue her parents so that she can make her own decisions about her body and its use.

Picoult raises some good issues. For example, can parents make medical decisions about another sibling's donor roles? What is ethical?

Multiple viewpoints are used in this story so that we are able to see each family member's perspective on things.

The sisters, Kate and Anna are the real story here though. The bond between them, the competition and loyalty, is the highlight of the book. They are siblings through their genes but are unable to separate from each other to grow into distinct individuals until Anna tries to maintain her independence.

The ending however was lacking. I don't want to spoil the book, but as was pointed out to me in my bookclub, the lawyer, Campbell, would never have been driving based on his medical problem. It was a contrived ending that completely ruined the story for me.

I will read more Picoult books because I like her style but I was disappointed in the end with this one.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Keeper.