Diane's Reviews > Songs Without Words

1974534
Jan 30, 09

Read in November, 2007

Synopsis of the book:
"Sarabeth and Liz grew up across the street from each other, their girlhood friendship deepened by the tragedy of Sarabeth's mother's suicide when the girls were in high school. Packer offers their history in a brief prologue, and the first chapter of the novel finds Liz married with two teenaged children and contentedly immersed in her roles as wife and mother.

Sarabeth, on the other hand, is still single, uncertain about her life and pursuing a career as a house stager, someone who creates the ambiance of cozy domesticity in homes people are trying to sell, a job that seems like a painful destiny for someone whose own childhood was interrupted by domestic tragedy.

Of the two, Liz appears to have it all, but when her 15-year-old daughter, Lauren falls into the grip of adolescent depression, Liz's world falls apart. And so does Sarabeth's; Lauren's unhappiness brings Sarabeth dangerously near to the memory of her own mother, and her retreat from Liz is both cowardly and understandable."

I did not enjoy this book as much as I thought that I would. I was, like many other reviewers, waiting to see the solid relationship between these two women evolve. I found the book tedious to read truthfully. We were never told the true reason behind Lauren's depression. In fact, I felt that Sarabeth's own depression was highlighted much more so than Lauren's. She was constantly making wrong turns in her life and her own depression, while understandable, was never dealt with. I expected some real turning points in this novel that just never took place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs Without Words.