Celeste's Reviews > Gender and Social Movements

Jan 30, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: women-s-studies, race-studies, sociology
Read in February, 2009 , read count: 1

This book compares the civil rights movement in the United States with the Anti-Apartheid movement in South Africa. The author uses these two case studies to demonstrate the ways in which women's involvement in and leadership of social movements gets erased from public memory. While the general general concept of the book was interesting and I learned a few details of these movements that I didn't know before, overall the book was repetitive and not written in an engaging way. Kuumba seemed to be more interested in critiquing mainstream sociological theory by demonstrating how a gendered analysis complicates theory than she was in actually saying very much about the two social movements in her case study. Consequently she used the same examples over and over again to discuss different sociological theories. If you are interested in sociological theory than you may find this book more helpful than I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gender and Social Movements.