Mindy's Reviews > Cranberry Thanksgiving

Cranberry Thanksgiving by Wende Devlin

Jan 30, 09

bookshelves: children
Read in January, 2009

** spoiler alert ** My husband practically jumped with excitement when he saw this book in our library stack. His mother read it to him frequently as a child and she insisted on cooking the bread recipe in the back of the book every Thanksgiving.

We came across this while using our "Five in a Row" curriculum. The story involves a grandmother and granddaughter who each invite a guest to their Thanksgiving meal. Maggie invites a kindhearted and very hairy gentleman named Mr. Whiskers whom she has known all her life, though Grandmother judges him very harshly based on his uncouth appearance; Grandmother invites a very refined gentleman who turns out to be a thief.

While the illustrations are not as engaging as many of the other books we've been reading lately, the writing itself holds our interest and has a layer of depth not always encountered in children's literature. We have found plenty to discuss in the areas of vocabulary, literary devices, character, and geography. There's even a built-in activity in the form of the recipe in the back of the book which we will be trying soon, minus the raisins.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cranberry Thanksgiving.