Boof's Reviews > Wide Sargasso Sea

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

Mar 15, 09

bookshelves: british-authors, 1001-books, read-in-2009, caribbean
Read in March, 2009

How disappointing. After completely falling in love with Jane Eyre I was really looking forward to reading this. Perhaps, though, the reason I didn't like this book is because of my love for Jane Eyre .

I didn't like anything about this book: the style, the subject, the plot, nothing. I started it a few months ago, put it down and then decided yesterday to try again but no - still didn't like it. In fact the only reason I gave it 2 stars was because part 3 slightly redeemed itself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wide Sargasso Sea.

02/08/2009 page 41
21.35% 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar This is not one of my fav books but I found it interesting :)

Boof I'm struggling with it. Not because of the writing, just because I love Jane Eyre so much that I don't want to hear anything bad about her or Mr Rochester. You're right, it's interesting but it's certainly not one of my faves either.

message 3: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar I love Mr. Rochester too, so reading this kinda makes me sad ...

message 4: by April (new) - added it

April I have this book. Sorry to hear that you are struggling. :-(

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Completely relate to this, Boof. You almost have to detract it from Jane Eyre and remember that it is only an itnerpretation. I mean, I love both books, and I love Rochester in JE whilst dislike (but am understanding of) him in WSS. It's strange because it isn't him at all (the wit, most obviously, is lacking) but in a strange way it has become him, his past, for me.

But it's more about Antoinetta/Bertha.

Boof I know, Lauren, I think if I hadn't read this straight after JE I may have had a completely differnt take on it. I was so excited about reading JE and didn't want the experience to end which is why I picked this up and I think the timing was a mistake.

message 7: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar I never want to relate this with JE. It will ruin my imagination of Mr. Rochester :(

message 8: by Laurele (new)

Laurele This is one book that I started but did not finish. It seemed spiteful to me.

message 9: by Grace (new)

Grace Tjan I'm reluctant to read this because I'm afraid that it will 'ruin' the original Mr. Rochester for me. Maybe I'll read it someday.