Manny's Reviews > Bin Laden: La traque

Bin Laden by Gérard de Villiers

Jan 15, 2015

it was ok
bookshelves: french, trash, well-i-think-its-funny, too-sexy-for-maiden-aunts, islam-and-arabic
Read in January, 2007

Malko's latest assignment from his CIA bosses is to find Osama bin Laden and assassinate him. He wanders around Pakistan, getting a lot of his friends killed and occasionally finding a hot woman desperate or stupid enough to have sex with him. It's far from obvious that they are as keen on the anal action as he is... I do sometimes wonder whether Malko is quite clear about his sexual orientation.

In the end, Malko is contacted by bin Laden's organization, and offered a meeting. He agrees, but has been out-thought at every turn: there is absolutely no chance of being able to kill the guy. Bin Laden is not presented in unsympathetic terms. This book really drove home to me how much French people had came to dislike Americans during the later days of the Bush administration.
_________________________________________________________

[Postscript, May 2 2011]

Let's face it, Malko: you screwed up. I think Obama replaced you with someone who was less interested in anal sex and keeping up his fancy château, and more interested in actually getting the job done. Good judgement call.

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bin Laden.

message 1: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely Just got a word today. Osama bin Laden is dead. Nice timing. :)

Manny Oh, I posted the original review a couple of years ago... but in view of today's news, I really felt it needed to be updated.

I wonder if a new SAS novel is being prepared right now, explaining that Malko did get him after all. I wouldn't put it past them, and I will definitely review it if that happens!

message 3: by QA (new)

QA Dont worry sir.Your review is still relevant but it is said that the guyremained in freezer for three years.

Manny it is said that the guy remained in freezer for three years.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Dr. Evil in Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me? Though it's true, now you mention it, that bin Laden's hideout was described as a luxurious residence that cost one million dollars...

Manny More seriously, what are people in Pakistan saying about this? I'm really curious.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori Go to BBC and even better Al Jazeera English, they have quotes from all over and AJ has articles on Pakistan.

Manny Thanks Lori! I should have thought of that.

message 8: by QA (new)

QA Dear Manny,the people of pakistan are confused and dis illussioned.They are just spectators to this saga going on not only since 9/11 but sice 1979 when the communists seized power in afghanistan.I dont know whether you have read about or believe in the great game in central asia(Peter hopkirk!],but practically it is played and replayed here since then and you can imagine our misery,apaches,chinnoks,drones,suecicde bombings,kidnappings,collateral damage.Naturally the people are now fed up with it but dont know how to stop this,Every thing is murky here.The world has seldom taken the trouble to make a honest endeavour to change all this.As a result illiteracy and ignorance is galloping.We are at a loss to understand what is happening to us and why.?

message 9: by Tuck (new)

Tuck they are talking about justice being done in usa. i see it as vengeance. i wouldn't mind if justice was tried, but its about 10 years too late for that. bum fuckers.

message 10: by notgettingenough (last edited May 03, 2011 03:00PM) (new)

notgettingenough Manny wrote: "More seriously, what are people in Pakistan saying about this? I'm really curious."

"The death of bin Laden is not an "accomplishment" of the American government, it is simply a promise being upheld by those we pay our taxes too. It's nothing more than a fair trade. Thats capitalism, it's the American dream. American citizens gave up their privacy, freedoms, money, and lives to get Osama bin Laden and some of us citizens are not going to say "thank you" for the government holding up its side of the bargain. We gave up a lot for the promise of "getting him", and our sacrifices fueled a monster larger and more capable of destruction than one man's fanatic worldview.

We have created a monster out of America."

Not a Pakistani opinion as such, but one that isn't about seeing it as such a great thing, the world's greatest superpower spending ten years and how many billions of dollars on catching one man who, it turned out, was practically living in broad daylight...

Manny Well, since the conversation has turned serious, I agree. Bin Laden succeeded beyond his wildest dreams. Working with almost no resources beyond his daring and charisma, he did incalculable damage to the US in both the political and the economic spheres, and has now fixed a tidy martyrdom to round it all off.

To put it mildly, I don't agree with his ideals or his methods. He was an extremely dangerous fanatic. But hundreds of thousands of people are going to try and follow his example, because he showed that he could get results.

message 12: by QA (new)