Trin's Reviews > Godmother: The Secret Cinderella Story

Godmother by Carolyn Turgeon

Feb 12, 09

bookshelves: american-lit, booksaboutbooks, fantasy
Read in February, 2009

** spoiler alert ** What This Book Is Being Marketed As: Fluffy retelling of the Cinderella story from the godmother’s point of view! She was kicked out of fairyland for falling in love with Cinderella’s prince; now, as an elderly bookstore clerk in present day New York, she has the chance to redeem herself by doing some matchmaking for a free-spirited hair stylist and her wealthy, recently-divorced bookstore owning boss! There’s a wealthy bookstore owner in this book, so you know it’ll be an optimistic fairytale!

What This Book Actually Is, Based On One Interpretation of Its Ambiguous Ending: Cinderella’s godmother grew up in a fairyland that seems as realistic and well-realized as one of those mid-’90s plastic fairy kingdom toys that unfolded from a Pepto-Bismol-pink clamshell case that looked like it maybe in a previous life held somebody’s diaphragm. She fell in love with Cinderella’s prince after seeing him one time, which makes her kind of want to off Miss Cinders rather than get her and Charming together. Luckily, Cinderella is suicidally depressed and tells the godmother to just go to the ball in her place. Godmother does, comes back to find Cinderella has slashed her wrists with her broken glass slipper. But if the godmother can manage that hair stylist/wealthy bookstore owner hookup, then everything’s still cool!

What This Book Actually Is, Based On the Other Interpretation of Its Ambiguous Ending: The “godmother” is actually a crazy old lady who’s escaped into a fantasy world after her younger sister’s rape and suicide (?) when they were girls. At the end, she thinks she’s getting to return to fairyland, but actually, she just kills herself.

In Conclusion: It’s so nice to know that whichever way you slice it, someone’s veins are getting sliced too! Also good to know: if this author offers you a nice, refreshing glass of Kool-Aid, it’s probably best to pass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Godmother.

01/30/2009 page 44
15.28% "Whoa! Hello elderly masturbating fairies!" 4 comments
02/07/2009 page 150
52.08% "I would say, "Would you like a little cheese with your whine, oh masturbating fairy?" But this is PLENTY cheesy already."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wealhtheow (new)

Wealhtheow What the hell? What the HELL?

message 2: by Trin (new) - rated it 1 star

Trin I have NO IDEA. And believe me, I would love to have someone, anyone involved with this book's creative process tell me what they were thinking.

message 3: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Well, I am right here.

Cindy I try not to read reviews before I'm finished with the book but I'm 100 pages into this and was very confused if i was missing something.

The Sweet Bookshelf OMG! I sooo agree!!!

I felt myself saying to myself,"did the old lady just masturbate herself to sleep?"

"Did Cinderella seriously just slit her wrists?"

"ANOTHER suicide? The loco lady jumps off a bridge!?"

Where was the editor in all of this? Did they actually READ the ending? Who thought suicides in a tween book/fairytale was ever a good thing. Seriously disappointed. Horrible.

message 6: by Jillian -always aspiring- (last edited May 10, 2010 08:21AM) (new)

Jillian -always aspiring- Wow. Just -- wow. (Mind you, that is not a GOOD wow. That is a horrified "this-is-sick-how-did-this-get-published" wow.)

SOMEONE was a bit too inspired by what they had likely read in Tender Morsels. . .

message 7: by Miss Clark (new)

Miss Clark Wow. I am so glad I saw your review before getting this book since I had no idea that was what the book was really about. Really inaccurate marketing. THANK YOU!