Alex's Reviews > Telegraph Avenue

Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon

Nov 04, 12

Read in October, 2012

Chabon has a decent book here. The primary reason it fails to be great is that he employs a "scooby-doo" ending - whereby everything is wrapped up neatly and suddenly. The conclusion is too abrupt and the resolution doesn't give satisfaction equal to our investment in the lives of the characters leading up to it.

I am a fan of Chabon's work, and if you liked his prose in any of his previous works then you will enjoy reading this. He still has a knack for bringing characters alive on the page via internal and external dilogue, and his skills have not diminished.

Two general questions at this point in Chabon's career: 1) Is he hoping for an award in political correctness via his characterizations of homosexual characters? There isn't really anything wrong with doing this, but he seems determined to write a homosexual character into every book. Perhaps Chabon writes for a specific reader, and that reader happens to be gay? 2) Does he lean too heavily on comic book references? Not unlike Chabon I spent large portions of my childhod with my nose in one marvel comic or another, but I wonder if the uninitiated tire of hearing the plots recounted. The references obviously belong in such works as Kav & Clay, but they pop up in so much of his work that I'm curious about how other readers react to them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Telegraph Avenue.