Kimberly's Reviews > The Adoration of Jenna Fox

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

Jan 29, 09

bookshelves: 2009, dystopias-postapocalyptic, fantasy-sf, young-adult
Read in January, 2009

*I just realized the goodreads blurb gives away a huge section of the plot. Lame! Don't read it before you read the book!*

I started reading this book this evening and did not stop until I had finished it about five minutes ago. I haven't done that with a book since Harry Potter 7 (and even with HP 7 I had to put it down to get some sleep, I had started reading it at midnight).

I've read a lot of futuristic/dystopian books and many of them seem predictable. Most of those types of books is buildup and the quality of the book as a whole really depends on the payoff at or near the end. If the payoff is bad, it makes the book bad. The payoff with this one was great. Some parts I could predict, but not all, and the parts I didn't see coming were not unrealistic in the context of the novel. It's a futuristic novel concerning very advanced medical science, so suspension of belief is required, but I've never had a problem with that. Jenna's interactions with those around her are authentic. While the issues that the author raises have been addressed in other books, she makes them seem fresh.

I LOVED the author's writing style. I thought Jenna's development in the context of what had been done to her as well as the context of her just "growing up" was masterfully done. When I started reading I was disappointed that it was yet ANOTHER present-tense novel, but it could not have been done any other way. The change in Jenna's voice is done so gradually, but if I were to compare the final pages to the first few pages, the difference is remarkable. If I gave any specifics I'd give away the plot, but it is really well done.

The plot was fast-paced, everything came together at the end, I liked Jenna, I sympathized with her family, I was intrigued by her friends, I understood her struggles, I was surprised more than once, the book made me think about the nature of humanity, and I closed it feeling exhilarated and reminded of why I love to read. Totally my kind of book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adoration of Jenna Fox.