karen's Reviews > The Perpetual Ending

The Perpetual Ending by Kristen Den Hartog

Nov 02, 11

bookshelves: table, my-biggest-fear, upstairs-neighbors
Read in January, 2009

again - canada equals beautiful. and despite my natural aversion to twins, and the fact that i am dead inside, i was... moved. i felt a deep sorrow from this book that gave me shivers. i discovered this book playing the library game with "magical realism" as the keyword but don't be fooled - it's not. at all. it's just a sad family story interspersed with fairy tales the character has written which are less fairy tales and more thinly veiled personal stories too bleak and sexualized for children. no magic except in the skill of the canadian author. i think i'm going to have to move. take me, canada!
29 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perpetual Ending.

karen karenada

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill canada would love to have you!

karen success!!

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill i see you're reading Plague...i hope you like it!

karen i only have thirty pages left! but it is a trilogy!! eek! i only have the first 2!!! horrors!

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill not to worry...i just ordered you the third one...Watchers at the Shrine...and it's coming from within canada, so it shouldn't take too long. me to the rescue again!!! you didn't say how you are liking the first one...is it good?

i also have 4 matthew jones books to send you now...will mail them out next week...i'm sending you books by the boxload!!

karen bill thompson is the best!! thank you, hero!

it's fine - i have a feeling the second one will be better. but if i tell you all about it now, you won't want to read my review!

message 8: by Bill (new)

Bill i just got my copy of 1Q84 in the mail today...that's three 1000 page books i've got in a couple of days.
are you planning on reading it? or don't you like murakami?

karen i haven't been sold on him yet - i have read 2, and thought "meh"

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill have you looked at that Parallel Stories: A Novel book at your store? it's reaaally long, almost 1200 pages.

i got my copy of the murakami book for $16 including free shipping...that's not too bad.

and speaking of shipping, i'm getting really pissed off with that aussie place...i still haven't received a notice that your book has been shipped...it's taking forever, and they said it was in stock!

message 11: by Bill (new)

Bill and by the way, i always like reading your reviews!

karen i have heard there were problems with that book, but i had hoped your order had gotten in before the problems started, but maybe not. eeps!

yeah, the nadas is MASSIVE! it keeps trying to fall off the shelf!

message 13: by Bill (new)

Bill it says on the aussie website that the order is processing, whatever that means exactly. i'm not sure whether they actually have it now or not.

karen other people have had problems getting it. i thought i was in the clear oh nooo!

message 15: by Bill (new)

Bill i'll send guido and a few of his friends to talk to them about it!

message 16: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn Deep sorrow, bleak, shivers... sounds like the perfect Canadian novel to me. I'm not even kidding!

karen thanks, bill!! look out, australia - canada is coming!

(and it isss - it is a perfect book!)

message 18: by Denae (new)

Denae The library game? You must enlighten me.

karen hahahah ohhh - so i write this a while ago, before my beloved RA group, i just floated it to take care of a typo situation, but before the group, when i was just taking RA classes, we were supposed to go to the NYPL and play around with their RA feature. so my actual assignment was to find readalikes for a particular book (secret history - oh where i am just now realizing is where i first heard about red leaves, which i only just read a couple of months ago and was baaaaad) and so after i did my work, i was just fooling around and typing in various words to see what kind of matches the system would make. and lo - this book. much much better than red leaves.

message 20: by Denae (new)

Denae Ahh. I shot an entire roll of film at the NYPL when I was up there in August. I really should get it developed at some point. I am itching to move closer to DC so I can actually easily go to the LoC. Also, to have a decent library system. The one in this county has a fairly subpar selection.

karen thank goodness for interloan, is all i am saying.

message 22: by Denae (new)

Denae I'm lazy and if they have the option on their website I've not found it. If I move another county towards the city I can get access to several much better systems as well as being close enough to George Mason University to get reciprocal privileges there.

karen or you can continue to work on that dc thing. and then come to new york on a $20 bus. riiiight??

message 24: by Denae (new)

Denae Yes! Seriously, though, I will definitely be doing that again. 4 hours on a nice bus with wifi beats the hell out of flying and the price!

karen when you do, let me know - we will go on an adventure!

message 26: by Denae (new)

Denae Definitely! If you decide to come down here, let me know :)

karen i tend to stay in one place, but who knows what the future will bring...i have left new york like once in the last 10 years that wasn't to go see my dad.

message 28: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn Your comment way up there: "look out Australia -- here comes Canada!" reminds me that I read a couple Australian books a year or so ago and really enjoyed them too. I recommend The White Earth, it was this gothic saga about colonialism. It felt very 'Australian' to me, kind of similar to the way Canadian novels feel 'Canadian'.

karen ooh = thanks for the tip!