Brandon Zarzyczny's Reviews > Gunmetal Magic

Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

Feb 18, 13

Read from January 27 to February 02, 2013

I really enjoyed this book, mainly because of the amazing characters within, especially the main character Andrea. From what I understand, this is essentially the fifth book in this world, but unlike the first four there is a different main character. This was my first introduction to the Kate Daniels world, and Ilona Andrews in general. There were definitely a few moments where I knew I was missing out on some background info, but in general I didn't mind at all, and it was a fine place to start out, though I wish I could read a sequel. The world here is relatively unique, it's essentially an Urban Fantasy, but basically an semi-apocalyptic event occurred where devastating magic was brought into the world and currently comes in and out of the world like the tide. The combination of current technology and magic is really cool in the book, and relatively believable. The story is essentially a mystery, with Andrea investigating the murder of four shapeshifters and the theft of an artifact, but over time things get crazier and crazier, from shapshifters on giant draugr to reincarnated god on god action. Still, the best part of this book is the first person viewpoint of the main character Andrea, a bouda/hyena shapeshifter ex-knight current mercenary/private-eye. She is an incredibly strong woman, with a unique and endearing voice in the book.

Overall, I just really loved this book, and I already picked up the first book of the Kate Daniels series. I don't know if I'll like her character as much, but if the writing in this book is any indication, I think that I'll really like it, and I would definitely recommend this book and the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunmetal Magic.