Sarah's Reviews > Writing Irresistible KidLit: The Ultimate Guide to Crafting Fiction for Young Adult and Middle Grade Readers

Writing Irresistible KidLit by Mary Kole

Nov 03, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, nonfiction
Read in November, 2012

Wow. Like the title states, this really is "The Ultimate Guide" for writing "kidlit."

A few things I loved about this book:
- Ms. Kole uses excerpts from 35 kidlit books to illustrate the writing craft techniques.
- The whole book is a lesson on good "voice." Her book uses a conversational tone that made it feel like she was just sitting at the table teaching me.
- The market sections. She gives an overview of the YA and MG markets, the YA and MG mindset, and the business side of getting your book traditionally published.
- The craft sections. She talks about how to come up with a "big idea," great storytelling, developing irresistible characters and plot, and "advance kidlit," like using imagery and setting, word choice and voice, and authority and authenticity.

I'm going to read it again with a highlighter and sticky notes in hand. It is truly the YA and MG writer's bible.

Go forth and read!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing Irresistible KidLit.