All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > The Witch Collector Part I

The Witch Collector Part I by Loretta Nyhan

Apr 08, 13

bookshelves: reviewed-by-kate, earc

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

THE WITCH COLLECTOR PART I starts out strong and pulls you right in with the mystery. Why are Breeda’s parents running away from their home and why are they going to Chicago? Who or what took them from the apartment after they got there? And why the heck would they name their child Breeda?

Nyhan creates some interesting mythology behind her witches. They’re connected to the Earth, carry a talisman, and they each have a different skill which is inherited from a parent. Their individual skill doesn’t start to manifest until they’re in their teens, however, and at the beginning of the book, Breeda is starting to feel her power manifest. So, against that backdrop, her parents go missing and she’s lost and alone in a new city. Understandably panicked, I had a hard time judging Breeda for her actions, even if I felt them a bit rash. She was generally left without much in the way of choices.

There were so many different threads started in this first half of THE WITCH COLLECTOR. There are mysteries about Breeda’s coven and coven leader, her mother’s sister, the witches she encounters in Chicago, and so on. I am curious to see how they will all end up connecting, since they seem so scattered.

The unfortunate part about THE WITCH COLLECTOR is that while it begins great, it is only that- a beginning. There are many questions raised, and few answers discovered. This is not meant to be a stand alone story, so make sure that you’re prepared to nab Part II when it comes out.

Sexual Content: Kissing
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witch Collector Part I.