Angie's Reviews > Same, Same But Different

Same, Same But Different by Jenny Sue Kostecki-Shaw

Nov 03, 2012

bookshelves: 12-texas-2x2, picture
Read in November, 2012

Love the illustrations and the juxtaposition of two different (but the same!) worlds.

I remember having a penpal from Swaziland when I was a kid. We continued to write for a couple years then drifted from doing so.

I know there are epals and Skype chats (when time zones can match up) with classes from other countries. I just don't see anyone doing them in my circles. Dunno if it's because I just don't hear about it (I'm the school librarian ... so to do anything with kids I need to get the teacher on board) or because they are so busy with testing and interventions and differentiation and accountability it keeps getting pushed down on the list of "to dos."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Same, Same But Different.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) Angie - I actually think some teachers don't know how to use skype in the classroom or reach out in this global manner. And I think they either need someone to help get them started or to show them how to incorporate it in relevant ways into the curriculum.

Angie I wish I knew another way to offer cause so far very few takers. Got some network upgrades this summer so maybe that will help! Cause of the times someone has agreed to try it with me? Both ends of the spectrum. Super awesome tech went smoothly and the interaction was great. Or ... the tech was a total crash and burn and the kids were disappointed. The hesitant ones seem to latch on to the crash. Easier to understand if you weren't there in the room than the awesome ones!

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) Angie wrote: "I wish I knew another way to offer cause so far very few takers. Got some network upgrades this summer so maybe that will help! Cause of the times someone has agreed to try it with me? Both ends of..."

I have had good and bad experiences with Skype. Visuals are never great with Skype up on a screen so I prep the kids. keep trying...sometimes short visits can rebuild trust from previously negative experiences.