Alyssa's Reviews > Miss Spitfire: Reaching Helen Keller

Miss Spitfire by Sarah  Miller

F_50x66
Feb 02, 09

"Miss Spitfire: Reaching Helen Keller" by Sarah Miller is a book to remember. It is full of love, courage, and what it means to never give up even if it seems like all is lost. This book is historical fiction, told in Annie Sullivan's perspective of reaching the well-known Helen Keller. This book is not fast-paced or that exciting, but teaches you about life and what it means to love.
Helen Keller was a 6-year-old girl with no hope. She had been blind and deaf for her whole life, growing up in Tuscumbia Alabama, not having any way of communicating with others. Could you imagine, not having anyone to talk to, not even yourself? But that all changed when Annie Sullivan came into Helen's life. She taught Helen everything she knew, by spelling out words in her hand, from dressing herself properly, to giving her the gift of words. Not everyting was easy though, Helen did put up a fight, not knowing what she was looking for.
This author's writing style is very creative and unique. She clearly shows what Annie is thinking the whole story, from her pain and frustration, to her love and devotion for Helen Keller. Here is a quote: "In bed at night I cry-angry tears-but they bring me no relief. I only grow angrier. Beneath it all, my sympathy for Helen make me rage against myself. The last thing she needs it pity." Her writing really makes you feel what Annie is feeling, which I think is neccessary for a book written in first-person.
My favorite character in this book, is of course, Annie Sullivan. Her determination really taught me that when life isn't great, you don't just give up. You keep on trying, even when you don't want to.
I would recommend this book to anyone. It makes you think differently, and about how precious life is. If you want to know what happens to Helen and Annie, read this book to find out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Spitfire.