Catherine Mustread's Reviews > If I Stay

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Dec 18, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: sa-indie-picks, teen, first-in-series, oregon, music, award
Recommended to Catherine by: 20byJenny 052209
Read from November 29 to December 18, 2015

Life-changing tragedy plot (especially in a teen book) is normally a reason for me to avoid a book, but lots of awards and nominations plus having been on my TBR list for almost six years, was enough to overcome my reluctance. Being a quick read helped, and the emotionalism being non-sappy, though "melty" according to the author's notes, made it easier to read.

Mia, the protagonist, tells the story in first person which is a trick of disassociation after the accident but makes the telling less sentimental and gives her plenty of chance to fit in flashbacks, giving the reader enough backstory to better understand the characters. Good, but too contrived for my taste and I won't be rushing to read the sequel(s).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Stay.

11/30/2015 marked as: currently-reading
11/30/2015
12.0% "No chapters, time markers instead with flashbacks. Don't usually Ike books where tragedy strikes until give this a try."
12/15/2015
25.0% "Interesting point of view, ghostlike from a possible death bed, makes the flashback scenes seem more real and less poignant than they might otherwise. Good way to focus less on the tragedy and more on the background. One has to assume she will survive but will consider the options."
12/16/2015
57.0% "“I just think that funerals are a lot like death itself. You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it’s out of your control.”"
12/17/2015
80.0% ""That’s how we manage to survive loss. Because love, it never dies, it never goes away, it never fades, so long as you hang on to it. Love can make you immortal.""
12/18/2015 marked as: read