Wendyb's Reviews > Lean Mean Thirteen

Aug 13, 07

bookshelves: mystery
Recommended for: Only those who cannot pass up another Plum
Read in August, 2007

What I learned from this book is that if you have a million dollar book contract, you can pretty much just list junk food, articles of clothing, and expensive cars and call it a book. I don't ask for a great plot from a Stephanie Plum adventure or I never would have got past the 5th book in the series. I read these books because Stephanie is funny and eats the way most people over 14 can only dream of eating. Some of the previous books have been thinner and less satisfying than others, but this one takes [or rather, doesn't take] the cake. As usual, there's very little plot, which I could live with. The difference is, the joke is over. Stephanie isn't funny anymore, she's obnoxious. How long is she going to continue the stupid flirtation with Ranger?? The tension between them is nonexistent and by the end of the book, I wanted to call Joe Morelli myself and tell him to dump her. Lula and GRandma, usually the two people you can count on for at least one or two good laugh, make appearances are so superfluous that even if they WERE funny, you wouldn't be able to laugh for cringing at how sad it all has become.

Sigh. Thirteen is definitely an unlucky number in this series.

17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lean Mean Thirteen.

message 1: by Kaye (new) - rated it 1 star

Kaye I couldn't agree with you more. I loved this series, up until about book 7, but I just keep reading it out of former fond feelings, I guess.

John Agreed - I read these out of inertia now. Although, I will say that this one is slightly better than the last couple in the series.

Danii i disagree - these books arent meant to be thrillers- they are there if you want to pick up a book and enjoy easy reading with humour in it