Kevis Hendrickson's Reviews > The Wayfarer Redemption

The Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglass

Jan 28, 09

Read in January, 2009

The Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglass is one of the better fantasy books I've read. This is an epic tale in every sense of the word. The characters are complex and well-thought out, while the plot builds in layers revealing a complex tapestry of plots and sub plots that will leave the reader racing through its pages to find out what will happen next.

Often enough you cannot accurately judge a book by its cover, but in the case of The Wayfarer Redemption, I found myself constantly stopping in the middle of a sentence to take in the beautiful cover to help remind myself that nothing was taken for granted in the creation of this book. The maps are well done, the glossary helps to fill in the blanks. But the best part of this story is the characters.

What makes this story work for me is the multi-layered storytelling and multiple plotlines. On one hand you have this ancient prophecy predicting the climactic battle between The Starman and The Destroyer looming over everything. Meanwhile, you have these wonderful characters Axis, Faraday, Borneheld, Timozel, Yr, Jack and company who are caught up in the whirlwind storm brought about by this prophecy. There's political intrigue, shifting alliances, armies of darkness, mystical races, interfamily warfare, forbidden love--you name it this story has it all. I would love to see this book made into a film.

Some people might lambast this book for not being as prosaic as some of the more popular fantasy books. Others might attack it for not having the immediate appeal of being your cookie-cutter fantasy tale. In my opinion, The Wayfarer Redemption, although a modern invention, has storyteller charm and is rich in its depiction of its various cultures and world.

I am very impressed to know that this book is not a failed attempt to rehash the plot of The Lord of the Rings. This book features no hobbit-like folk, goblins, or any of that sort of overused fantasy fare. Yet, I can't help but notice that it shares the some of the same fine qualities that makes The Lord of the Rings such a successful book. I am amazed by the sheer depth of this story and am quite eager to see if Ms. Douglass can maintain such high quality writing over the course of the series.

To put it simply, this book took my breath away. Anyone who enjoys reading well-written engaging fantasy fiction ought to give this series a try!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wayfarer Redemption.