Bonnie's Reviews > 84, Charing Cross Road

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

Dec 28, 12

bookshelves: auto-biographies-and-memoirs, nonfiction
Read in November, 2012

This is just the most charming book.

I cannot believe that real people really wrote these letters – they’re warm and slyly witty in a way that I thought only existed in carefully crafted works by professional authors. I spent the first ¼ under the mistaken impression that this was fiction. I don’t know how this has been on my TBR for so long and I never knew it was nonfiction! Or I knew and I forgot.

This has all the makings of a typical romcom – New York City writer contacts a used bookshop in London to indulge her passion for hard-to-find nonfiction and begins a correspondence with a British bookseller. He’s initially stiff and formal but underneath he is good-humored and clever. She’s charming and chipper and much more informal – she’s kind of a classic 1930s bubbly heroine (I kept getting flashbacks to Cold Comfort Farm).

Except their relationship was strictly platonic and strictly by correspondence. Frank (the British bookseller) had a wife he seemed very happy with and Helene apparently never really wanted to marry anyone (so says wikipedia).

While I would have liked my dreamy romance, I'm very pleased with the book I got of two book-lovers (and those in their orbit) writing across the Atlantic their letters full of wit and charm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 84, Charing Cross Road.