Christine Alfano's Reviews > Croak

Croak by Gina Damico

Nov 02, 12

bookshelves: ya-reading-with-max
Read in October, 2012

I read this YA book with my son over the past month or so. Several aspects of it made it stand out to me: the character resisted cliche and instead was unusual and a bit unexpected; the narrative itself, though some of the story elements were a bit too contrived at times, kept the reader's interest engaged; and the writing style was interesting. My son was intrigued by the plot -- the story of a girl who is whisked away by her uncle to become a grim reaper -- though I was slightly put off by the fact that this book was clearly designed to be one of a series and so resists and serious closure at the end. I liked that the protagonist was a strong-willed girl; and I liked even more that she was written in such a way that readers of both genders could bond with her character. Some of the parts were a bit far-fetched for me, and I found a few echoes of the Harry Potter cult (the heroine is "special", and there's also a underlying suggestion that there might be something dark about her). Overall, though I thought that this book was well-crafted to appeal to tweens; I would recommend it, especially for reluctant readers who might need a bit of the morbid and unusual to get them into reading.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Croak.