Janelle's Reviews > The Town That Forgot How to Breathe

1966166
Feb 08, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in February, 2009

This book has the makings to be great: a mysterious breath-thieving affliction, preserved corpses washing ashore, ghosts and lost love. Unfortunately, these elements never seemed to come together to contain my interest. I started this book with high hopes and forced myself to finish it.

Although there were gripping parts that left my hair standing on end, there were not enough moments like that to compel me further into the tale. The momentum is suddenly lost again and again, leaving the reader frustrated. There are stories that do this and it actually works in favor of the novel, but something is desperately lacking here.

It may be the sheer fact that there is just too much going on. From one minute to the next a new event was occurring, each one bigger and more detailed than the last. There are far too many characters to keep track of once everything begins to unfold and the story becomes a bad sci-fi flick about halfway through.

In the end, the reason for the characters forgetting how to breathe is completely lost within a jumble of other disturbances. Nothing here seems tied together, which is very unfortunate because the writing is actually quite good.

I didn’t hate it, but would not recommend it. The textured and haunting cover art is clearly what is selling this book. Also, I find the title painstakingly silly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Town That Forgot How to Breathe.