Kim's Reviews > Writing Irresistible KidLit: The Ultimate Guide to Crafting Fiction for Young Adult and Middle Grade Readers

Writing Irresistible KidLit by Mary Kole

Nov 02, 12

Recommended to Kim by: Writers Digest Books
Recommended for: writers all genres
Read from October 24 to 26, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

It's funny, I wasn't even looking for a book on writing, but this one popped up in an email from Writer's Digest, and on a whim I ordered it. I'm working on a mid-grade novel and thought this might have some good information. Boy, was I right. I couldn't put it down, finished it in two days, then went back and highlighted the concepts I found particularly helpful. Mary Kole covers, plot, setting characterization and all the important elements of writing. But what I found the most helpful was that it was written from the point of view of an editor/agent, and emphasizes the parts of writing that can make your work stand out in a slush pile and increase your chances of getting published and/or finding representation.

The book is written for a writer with some experience in crafting fiction. But I wouldn't say it's limited to mid-grade and young adult. It would be helpful to writers of all popular genres. I'll be keeping this on the shelf with all of my reference books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing Irresistible KidLit.