Angela Paquin's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Jan 24, 2008

Recommended for: All Harry Potter fans
Read in July, 2007

It ties everything up.

Unlike most fans, I had to know the ending before I read the book. I had a feeling that everything would be easier to read, that I wouldn't just rush through the book to know what was going to happen to Harry.

After all, I wanted to savor this book; Harry's story ends here. So I read the ending first and then took my time, relaxed and read each chapter... I didn't feel like I had a gun to my head...

Above all, Snape's story moved me.

It's interesting, I had to see the movie in the theatres and took my six-year-old nephew with me. Mattie is familiar with all of the Harry Potter movies... He saw them on the TV and insisted on watching them. Any movie where there's good vs real evil he has to watch: Star Wars (he knows the order of each movie, you must refer to them in chronological order with him - #1 is not #4 etc.), Chronicles of Narnia (his favorite), Lord of the Rings, Spiderman... then he'll want to read the book and have all the marketing tie-ins: video games, tee-shirts etc. I don't think this is bad for him - currently he's at a 3rd grade reading level and loves to read... He knows whether or not he's ready for something (because he'll tell you...) When he saw I had the Deathly Hollows in my hand he was a. impressed that his aunt had the long awaited book and b. came to the conclusion of Harry's fate without reading a word.

If you think about it, JK Rowling wrote this story as a children's book first and foremost... Good would triumph over evil... so it would be silly to think that there would be an adult "spin" to the story... some kind of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" or "The Road" type of ending for our hero. Right?

JKRowling is coming to Harvard this May!