Heidi's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Dec 30, 09

bookshelves: audio, historical, fiction, humor, i-highly-recommend, to-reread, i-own, favorites, character
Recommended for: Everyone!
Read in March, 2009

I have been wanting to read this for a year. As I will be leading the Book Chat discussion on it in a couple of months, I finally got around to it.

The book was charming and delightful! Absolutely wonderful and one I would like to own a copy of to re-read my favorite parts over and over. Simple yet still quite deep. Full of so many characters and wonderful personalities--I fell in love with so many of them! I could completely relate to Juliet longing to visit Guernsey, and never wanting to leave it. There was plenty else that I connected with her on. As well as with other characters.

Very, very well-written. A wonderful must-read for everyone--but especially for anyone who loves reading and knows the power of it. The audio version increased the overall experience to making it superb. Well done and thoroughly entertaining. It had me feeling giddy, anxious, heartbroken, excited, well-versed, sympathetic, in shock. I laughed. I sat in wonder. I felt surprise. I received knowledge and understanding.

Another thing I loved was the historical aspect of the novel, and how it brought together into a seamless whole many different and separate pieces of ideas and thoughts that I've always had about WWII.

Though much of the book was predictable, it still came out in such an amazing way. It compelled you to read on to see how things would turn out. I could not "put it down" (since it was audio). Seriously, the CDs were being taken to the car, the desk computer, the home laptop. And the only reason I didn't finish it sooner was because I was listening to another much-anticipated audiobook.

The only real disappointment (aside from the teeniest sprinkling of language) was that the book ended. I wanted to be a part of these people's lives forever. And I thought it ended too suddenly--not giving me a chance to say good-bye. Yet it did give leave for my imagination to go where it will with how the story was left.

Exceptionally wonderful.

12/29/09 Merry Christmas, me. I now own my own print copy!

Quotes Heidi Liked

Mary Ann Shaffer
“That's what I love about reading: one tiny thing will interest you in a book, and that tiny thing will lead you to another book, and another bit there will lead you onto a third book. It's geometrically progressive - all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“Your questions regarding that gentleman are very delicate, very subtle, very much like being smacked in the head with a mallet...it's a tuba among the flutes.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“I sometimes think I prefer suitors in books rather than right in front of me. How awful, backward, cowardly, and mentally warped that will be if it turns out to be true.”
tags: humor

Mary Ann Shaffer
“Men are more interesting in books than they are in real life.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“After all, what's good enough for Austen ought to be good enough for anyone.”
tags: humor

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heidi It's fantabulous! A few actors using different voices for different characters--with fantastic accents and everything. The only thing I have difficulty with is keeping track of the dates. And wishing I had a print copy in front of me to write down all the quotes I'm loving from it.

Suzanne I am really enjoying it. Never knew the history of Guernsey in the War. The style keeps me hooked. Great book!

Malou I wholeheartedly agree: everyone should read it!!