Kat's Reviews > Watchmen

Watchmen by Alan Moore

Apr 16, 14

bookshelves: graphic-novels-comic-books, favorites, 2009, mysterious
Read in February, 2009

Basic Plot: Someone has murdered the "hero" the Comedian, and the retired costumed heroes begin to investigate, turning up all kinds of nasty messes.

I'm seriously tempted to give spoilers here, as the book was utterly mind-blowing (GAH! Rorschach! GAH!), and there were some serious twists in the book that, while I can't say I didn't see them coming, still really affected me strongly.

This is not a comic book for those who want their superheroes infallible icons of Americana. This is a graphic novel in every sense of the phrase. The violence is graphic, but not gratuitously so. It is there for impact upon the reader, and it works. There is nudity and sex, but again, never gratuitous. This novel showcases the sort of "behind the scenes" stuff that was never really shown in all the golden and silver age comic books. You almost know reading those old books that there's a seedier underside to the comic world that's only ever hinted at in most older books. Watchmen lifts up the sewer lid and shoves you down the hole to see just how deep the crap can pile up down there.

If I have one complaint about this book it's that I figured out all the twists and turns way too early. But I am an English teacher, after all, and I'm sort of trained to note foreshadowing and whatnot. It was still a fun ride, though, and watching the characters react to what was going on made the whole trip very worthwhile.

Fantastic writing. Art is kind of old school, but still good. The only thing there that consistently bugged me was the original Silk Spectre's hairdo. *shudder*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watchmen.