Rachel's Reviews > Interpreter of Maladies

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

Apr 14, 08

bookshelves: 1-favorites
Recommended to Rachel by: College Course, Prize/Award Winners Goal
Recommended for: Lovers of beautiful writing
Read in May, 2003, read count: 1

What a beautiful short story collection. Jhumpa Lahiri's examination of misplacement and cultural identity is masterfully executed. Her writing is as beautiful as Toni Morrison's or Margaret Atwood's and calls upon all of your senses. (I highly recommend finding a good Indian restaurant prior to reading the book, as you will absolutely crave Indian cuisine while reading.) Interpreter of Maladies made me an instant fan of Lahiri's and was definitely worthy of its Pulitzer Prize. If you have not yet been introduced to Jhumpa Lahiri's work, I highly recommend bumping Interpreter of Maladies to the top of your reading list - you won't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interpreter of Maladies.

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe Mossa
his book is on my pulitzer prize list collection and i have read some of his short stories, excellent i might add.

Rachel HER book ;)

Diane D. Rachel- I can't agree with your review more. Even down to the "go to an Indian restaurant". We read it for book club and we had our meeting at an Indian restaurant. It was perfect.
In fact, I enjoyed Interpreter more than The Namesake.

Rachel i'm so glad you enjoyed it. i just love her writing. and i'm super jealous you got to eat indian, i just moved to a new town and we have yet to find an indian restuarant here. :(