Rachel's Reviews > The Shipping News

bookshelves: 2-loved-it
Recommended to Rachel by: Linda
Recommended for: Anyone
Read in January, 2008, read count: 1

It took me a while to get into this book, but once I did I really liked it. Annie Proulx does a fantastic job writing this novel in a style that places you in the heart of cold, fish-stinky Newfoundland. She then fills that land with such a warm, genuine and quirky cast of characters that you have no choice but to warm up to the novel. By the time you finish, her themes and motifs are very obvious, but she develops them so subtly that they are completely believable and not at all forced. To top it all off, the novel ends with the most perfect final sentence of any book I have ever read. Sometimes I wonder about books that win top literary prizes, but this one definitely deserved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shipping News.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joe Mossa
she is a remarkable writer and i saw her on oprah. she claims to never use the same metaphor twice. this concept confuses me when i read her cause each time i come to a metaphor i wonder if she has used it before. i was surprised at how difficult her ACCORDIAN CRIMES was to read and that was the 2nd time i read it. i was shocked to discover her short story BROKE BACK MOUNTAIN became such a hit movie. i read it years before the movie came out and had to dig through my library to make sure that was the same story i had read years ago..yep.

Rachel wow, i had no idea she wrote "brokeback mountain." i might actually consider reading it now that i know it was her! :)

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol rachel, the movie of "the shipping news" is one of those few movies that actually is as nearly as good as the book, EVEN if you have read the book first. i love that movie, for some reason always love movies set in icy desolate locales. the casting is great...good movie to rent on a snowy day like we have today! carol (your hickory good reads buddy)
i am waiting on someone to return "devil in the white city" so i can check it out.

Rachel fantastic. i wasn't sure if the movie would be good, i'm so hesitant about movies based on books. maybe i'll call down and see if blockbuster has it. it would be fun to watch today!

you'll LOVE "devil in the white city." just don't read it at night...:)

M&m's This book was like reading poetry.

Rachel Yes, yes it was - so beautiful. I wish she would write another novel.

M&m's The movie does not live up to the book and is miscast. Kevin Spacey is not Quoyle. Annie Proulx has written several books of short stories. Try reading them.