Jennifer's Reviews > The Helmet of Horror

Jan 28, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, owned, mythology
Read on October 10, 2014

I have an uncorrected proof of this book from such times as I used to pinch such crumbs from Jessa's table. As it has been languishing on my shelves for many years, that makes it a good candidate for my to-read challenge, and reading Winterson's Weight not long ago sparked my interest in the Canongate Mythology series. So here we are.

I knew really nothing about Theseus and the Minotaur before reading this book, which I'm sure didn't help anything at all. In this book everything is up for interpretation: who is Theseus? Who is the Minotaur? What is the labrynth? What is reality? It is written as a chat room transcript, and we are to believe it is populated by people trapped in near-identical rooms with no memory of how they got there and computers that do nothing but provide access to this particular chat. But, as with everything online, what can you really believe?

Many aspects of this book were interesting. Some were bewildering. Some I didn't get I'm sure because I wasn't familiar enough with the myth behind it, some seemed more like the pompous philosophizing of college students too self-important to bother learning to fully explain their theories -- other people's bafflement just proving to them their own superiority. Maybe that was supposed to the the point and it was just too... deep for me, but I ended up feeling for most of the book that meaning was disappearing around a blind corner, just out of my grasp.

If that was the point, it just may be brilliant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Helmet of Horror.

10/10/2014 marked as: currently-reading