Margo Kelly's Reviews > How to Stop Worrying and Start Living

How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie

Feb 15, 09

Read in February, 2009

FINALLY. I have finished this book. WHEW.

The version I read of this book was published in 1944. I don't know if newer versions have been modified at all, or not.

I would've given the book a five star rating if it hadn't been so completely TORTUROUS to get through the chauvinistic view points. Granted, most all of Carnegie's strategies for overcoming stress and worry were excellent and I plan to put many ideas to use, HOWEVER, the ideas presented in chapters like #25 titled: "How the Housewife Can Avoid Fatigue and Keep Looking Young!" are ridiculous. This chapter took me days to get through - and it was only five pages long!

For example, to quote from this, my least favorite part of the book, "Yes, you, as a housewife, have got to relax! You have one great advantage - you can lie down whenever you want to, and you can lie on the floor!...Lie flat on the floor whenever you feel tired. Stretch as tall as you can. Roll around if you want to. Do it twice a day."

HAH. If I had read this exerpt first, I would have thrown the book in the trash.

However, I was determined to acknowledge that this book was written in 1944 and attitudes towards women were much different then. So, I tried to ignore the comments about females and instead focused on the valid strategies to overcome worry.

The worthwhile strategies presented outweigh the chauvinistic attitudes.

I do recommend this book - but only if you are open-minded.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Stop Worrying and Start Living.

01/28/2009 page 68
02/06/2009 page 198
55.31% "It's taking me forever to plug through this bk - it is good be so outdated where women are concerned."
02/06/2009 page 198
55.31% "It's taking me forever to plug through this book. It is good, but so outdated for women"
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Lynn I totally agree on the fatigue chapters being grinding!
:D